Saturday, December 31, 2011

Due to December

"Every man should be born again on the first day of January.  Start with a fresh page."
Currently:
Reading: The Manual to my Canon Rebel Xsi
Watching: Julie & Julia although I would rather be watching Holiday Inn
 One minute to midnight
One minute to go
One minute to say good-bye
Before we say hello

Let's start the new year right
Twelve o'clock tonight
When they dim the light
Let's begin

Kissing the old year out
Kissing the new year in

Let's watch the old year die
With a fond good-bye
And our hopes as high
As a kite

How can our love go wrong if
We start the new year right?
"Take up one hole more in the buckle if necessary, or let down one, according to circumstances;"
So I was sitting at work today contemplating the rest of my week, realizing tomorrow the date would look like something totally foreign, and checking Facebook. The buzz on the face space today was, of course about the new year. But what was most striking was this snippet from an eight year old via her mother, a list of her new years resolutions:


1.Help the poor 2. Be polite 3. Clean my room every day if it gets messy. 4. Be nice 5. exercise more 6. Eat more healthy 7. Be more thankful 8. And think about everyone 9. Especially think about God. 10. And (love) everyone, even God. 11. Save and Give.

An eight year. So simple, yet so profound. And I sit here and wonder how many people will selfishly put things like lose weight, get a raise, get married; things that all revolve around them. But this child doesn't want these insane goals, she wants to be a better person all the way around. And it made me ask myself, what am I living for...


This past year was a lot about transitioning for me. 

tran·si·tion

[tran-zish-uhn, -sish-] Show IPA
noun 1. movement, passage, or change from one position, state, stage, subject, concept, etc., to another; change
I didn't know how I would get through, but I did. I managed to come home. I managed to go back to a work environment. I've pushed through with everything I could. And the word that is resonating in my heart this year is change. 

change

[cheynj] Show IPA verb, changed, chang·ing, noun
verb (used with object)
1.to make the form, nature, content, future course, etc., of (something) different from what it is or from what it would be if left alone: to change one's name; to change one's opinion; to change the course of history.
2.to transform or convert (usually followed by into ): The witch changed the prince into a toad.
3.to substitute another or others for; exchange  for something else, usually of the same kind: She changed her shoes when she got home from the office.
4.to give and take reciprocally; interchange: to change places with someone.
5.to transfer from one (conveyance) to another: You'll have to change planes in Chicago.

Because for as much as I made gradual transitions this year, I feel like God is trying to do something bigger. Much larger than I can imagine.  I'm susceptible only to Him, and whatever He may do. Because He held my hand through all of this, even the moments I felt faint. All I know is that I am here waiting. And He is throwing doors open.

And in the meantime, I'll continue to be a healthy vegetarian amateur who works out three times a week, works more often, loves her friends and family more than my own life itself, and who writes every pondering thought for the world to see.

"but on the first of January let every man gird himself once more, with his face to the front, and take no interest in the things that were and are past."~ Henry Ward Beecher

No comments:

Post a Comment