Thursday, December 22, 2011

December Dance

"The color of springtime,"
Currently:
Reading: The back of my eyelids
Watching: The Santa Incident, ? Homeland security shoots down Santa???
 
Someone holds me safe and warm.
Horses prance through a silver storm.
Figures dancing gracefully
Across my memory...

Far away, long ago,
Glowing dim as an ember,
Things my heart
Used to know,
Things it yearns to remember...

And a song
Someone sings
Once upon a December
"is in the flowers."
Today is the first day of WINTER!!!!!!

Don't ask me why but my two favorite seasons are summer and winter. I know they are polar opposites, but I do. I think it's because they are both in the business of pausing and renewing. And I just love them. Growing up in the Chicago-land area you have people who are on both sides of the winter spectrum, but I grew up on the side of appreciating it. It's such a magical time and I LOVE it. It's really because of the snow. I remember crawling in the double evergreen covered in snow. I remember snowball fights in the church parking lot that lasted at least half an hour. The reverence of stepping in fresh snow. And pulling on the snow suits. Yes it was a suit. And no I couldn't get up if I fell.  I had my first kiss in the snow. I've said goodbye to two different places in the snow. Everything pauses. And when it starts, everything has changed again. So here is my winter ode.
"The color of winter,"
The seventy-five reasons I love winter:

1.  It’s the beginning  of the year
2.  Advent Calendars
3.  All the Creative Things to do with Wrapping Paper
4.  Being able to see your breath
5.  Blanket Weather
6.  Brighter Stars
7.  Bubble Baths
8.  Business is Always Good!
9.  Candy Canes and Peppermint  Kisses
10. Cardinals Against Snow
11. Carols
12. Chili
13. Christmas
14. Christmas Stories
15. Cinnamon and Evergreen Candles
16. Comfy Sweats
17. Cookies
18.  Crimson, Evergreen, Vanilla as colors!, enough said
19. Cute Boots
20. Decorations
21. Feeding the Homeless for the Holidays
22. Flannel
23. Footprints in the snow
24. Fresh Pine Trees
25. Funky Hats
26. Fuzzy Socks
27. Gingerbread Houses
28. Glitzy Dresses
29. Good Food
30. Grandma’s Jello Salad
31. Horse Drawn Carriages
32. Hot Chocolate
33. Ice Cream (yes, I actually prefer this now, and popsicles in summer)
34.  Ice Hockey
35. Ice Skating in the Park
36.  Jingle Bells
37. Kids Winter Breaks
38. Layering Clothes Again
39. Lights in Store Windows
40. My Mom being giddy
41. My yearly ornament
42. Nativities
43. Pageants/Plays
44. Pale Skin, Rosy Cheeks
45. Parties for all the Holidays
46. Peoples extremes come out!
47. Poinsettia
48. Present Giving
49. Red Lipstick pops in the winter
50. Ribbons!
51. Season Fruits and Veggies like… BRUSSEL SPROUTS
52. Secret Santa
53. Sledding
54. Snow Angels
55. Snow Caps on the Mountains
56. SNOW Falling!!!
57. Snow Men
58. Snowball Fights
59. Soft Gloves
60.  Soup Weather
61. Sparkling Grape Juice
62. Staying under the Covers
63. Story Times
64. Suntans in the snow (I always love when I get one of these)
65. Sweater Dresses
66. The Parades
67. The Quiet Mornings
68.  Time to Light Candles!
69. Usually Chocolate Covered Pretzel Season
70. Walking in Heels in Snow and Ice (It’s risky!!!!)
71. Warning Kids to Listen for Santa
72.  Wool Coats
73. Wondrous Things Happen
74. The memories
75. ….and the end of the year

Now if only we had a White Christmas!
"is in the imagination."~ Terri Guillements

No comments:

Post a Comment