Saturday, December 17, 2011

Delicious

"Never work before breakfast;"
Currently:
Reading: Everyone's Christmas Facebook status'
Watching: Disney's Prep And Landing
Listening: "I've Got Plenty To Be Thankful For" by Irving Berlin, sung by Bing Crosby

I've got plenty to be thankful for
I haven't got
A great big yacht
To sail from shore to shore
Still I've got plenty to be thankful for

I've got plenty to be thankful for
No private car
No caviar
No carpet on my floor
Still I've got plenty to be thankful for

I've got eyes to see with
Ears to hear with
Arms to hug with
Lips to kiss with
Someone to adore

How could anybody ask for more?
My needs are small
I buy them all
At the five and ten cent store
Oh, I've got plenty to be thankful for
"if you have to work before breakfast,"
So when I started this blog I meant for it to be a equal amounts of everything... food, fitness, family, focus. I've talked a lot about my focus, a good deal about family, a bit about fitness here and there, and rarely food. So today I am sharing the new easy recipe I tried this morning.
When I first became a vegetarian, breakfast foods were the easiest for me to make because I had already cut out pork products about six months before I cut meat out completely. And since I am not a vegan... eggs are a great source of protein for me. So it's no surprise that I love cooking breakfast when I have the opportunity (which is a rarity as of late). I love getting inspired by what I see others making and either replicating or reinventing the same dish.
So when I got home last night and caught up on The Chew and saw an episode of Daphne Oz (former vegetarian) making Eggs Florentine with her dad, I knew I had to make it. And most of the ingredients were already in my house anyway.

There is plenty to feel good about in this recipe... and feel bad about. It's got pretty much all your basic food groups, dairy, grains, veggies, proteins, even some fruit juice. Plus it's got spinach... my favorite green and source of iron! However this thing has 10 TABLESPOONS of butter! I am a little bit afraid that my arteries are going to get clogged from this thing. It did taste pretty stinking amazing though.

The thing I have always loved about cooking and being "the chef" at times is I can just cook and not worry about anything. I put on my favorite playlist and dance around the kitchen while I cook. If I don't like the way something turns out, I pull a "gonnabe" moment and make it my own. For instance today I was NOT going to cookie cut bread so I went ahead and got some multi-grain english muffins. And I am not a fan of sauteed spinach so I just drizzled some olive oil in the pan with some salt and pepper and cooked it for just a few seconds to get a little of the bite out. I did what felt and tasted right to me, while still making healthy decisions.
At the end of the day I just love being in the kitchen... because I can be me with everything I do in there. I can go ahead and dance cause no one is watching me. I can bounce around while I cook. I can say oops and move on. I have the freedom. And I take it. I take control of what I'm putting in, and what I'm giving to others.
"eat your breakfast first." ~Josh Billings

No comments:

Post a Comment