Sunday, March 4, 2012

Move

"One is a member of..."
Currently:
Reading: "Predator" by Terri Blackstock
Listening:"These Hands" by Victory World Music featuring Montell Jordan

Sorry for the lack of lyrics this week. It's something new. But this testimony is AWESOME. And Montell Jordan is truly a down to earth man.

"a country, a profession, a religion, a religion.

When I was a kid we went to this family church. It was one of those you were born in to it, you died in it. And there were several of us who grew up in this little part of suburbia together, even though we only saw each other on the weekends. It was a church big on fellowship, always a committee meeting, or a planning group, or after church event. It thrived as that, but politics were mixed with hierarchy and nepotism; and while they were believers in the spirit it wasn't always spirit led.
And so I found myself at sixteen, choosing my own church for the first time. I followed all the hype and settled in to an exciting youth group closer to my home. My friends from school were there , and the energy was captivating, but the adult aspect wasn't catching me as I grew. Plus, I was still divided between two churches.
With the warring in my heart, my mom and I made the leap to move several hundred miles away.  For the first time in my life we were in a season we couldn't go to church.
So when we finally found a church we were hungry for a church home and we quickly settled into a worship based church that thrived on people exercising their talent for the Lord. And it was home for quite the season. But they were unwilling to extend a hand when needed.
My heart was starving for a change though and I ventured to a new land yet again. This church was extremely large in comparison to what I was used to, but it stirred my heart in ways I never knew it could. All the things that my other churches seemed to miss out on, this church seemed to get... and so much more.
A year and a half later I found myself at home again and life was messy and complicated. Church services weren't really an option yet again.
But now here I am, life cleaned up as much as I can and able to worship in the way I desire! It's hard though, because I have to try so hard to push my comparisons down. But the worship has felt staged, the pastors are screaming at me, and the people have just walked by without so much as a nod.

I'm trying so hard to find a place to call home. Without dwelling... on all the other homes I've had.
So where is home???

"One is not just a man." ~Antoine de Saint-Exupery Wartime Writings 1939-1944

No comments:

Post a Comment