Monday, June 20, 2011

Health-ful HInts- Take 2: How Come and How Much?

"To eat is a necessity,"
Last nights post was written in approximately 2 minutes while I was quite literally falling asleep at the computer. Which is where the idea for the 2 minute post started...

As mentioned in my profile. I am a vegetarian. I have been for about a year. I am really loose in my interpretation... it's not the end of the world if I find out after I order something seemingly vegetarian and it ends of having meat in it, but I will ask for something else.
But here is the thing meat is a MAJOR source of PROTEIN...
                                and protein is something our bodies need!!!!!!!!!!!
Protein helps keep our hair, nails, and skin healthy; as well as helps our bodies heal from injuries. Plus the reason that led to this post- it helps give you energy and stamina!!!! Which is why my lack of protein this week caused a major crash last night when I had been going,going, going without putting in the necessary fuel.
According to the ever-trusty food pyramid we need 2-3 servings of protein a day. But how much is a serving?
According to whatscookingamerica.net the following items count as one serving:

Protein
2-3 ounces of cooked lean meat, poultry, or fish
These count as 1 ounce of meat:
½ cup of cooked dry beans (lima, kidney, black. split beans, lentils) or tofu
2 ½ ounce soy burger
1 egg
2 tablespoons of peanut butter
1/3 cup of nuts
So there you have it. Go find a yummy protein filled snack like this!
 (Nuetella and Strawberries on French bread)
In case you didn't know Nuetella has hazelnuts in it! Score!!!!!
"...but to eat intelligently is an art." -La Rouchfoucauld

No comments:

Post a Comment