Sunday, May 27, 2012

Matrimony


"She soaked in the light, turned a new corner,"
Currently:
Reading: "I Am Her" by M.H. Clark
Watching: The Descendants

 So with this ring,
May you always know one thing:
What little that I have to give,
I will give it all to you.

You're my one true love.
"and stepped off the sidewalk into bloom."
The past few days have felt endless and yet they seemed to have just slipped away. Yesterday I woke up and spent the morning with my best friend, and the lovely people that surround her, and by the end of the day she had a new last name.
It was one of those days that I will hold in my heart forever…
I always thought when this day would come I would be full of tears. But I wasn’t. I did well up a bit. I remember about halfway through the ceremony I heard something tell me not to blink, because I didn’t want to miss a minute of it. And all day that resounded through my head… Don’t blink because you will never have this day again! I’ll savor the precious moments of sitting on a bed while I ran my fingers through her hair. Laughing at her standing in a towel trying to text to get things done. Sharing stories from our childhood while she got her hair and makeup done. Filing in the car with her dress strewn across my lap as my ever-independent friend drove herself to the wedding. Shielding her from the groom as she made a dash inside to get ready. Having a moment all to myself with her as she was getting ready and praying over the woman that she has become, the marriage she will have. Getting a knock on the door, during said prayer, because the reception area was being crushed by the wind. Pinning boutonnières on the groomsmen. Holding the train on her dress. Watching her cry as the whole bridal party surrounded them in prayer; while she clung to her soon to be husband. Turning to her one last time as we prepared to walk out, exclaiming that she was about to get married. Her calm and reassured smile as she said, “Yeah, I am”. Holding the arm of my groomsman as I walked toward a smiling Groom; thinking man I glad I have this arm to hold because he asked me not to cry while walking down the aisle. I remember quickly turning my head to watch the Groom’s face as she approached the end of the aisle; and his smile couldn’t have been any bigger as she walked down the aisle crying.  The communion where they leaned in to each other as he prayed over them. The way her voice wavered in her vows. The kiss that didn’t seem to be stop. And the rest is a blur of conversations while she took picture after picture… until the last few moments; when I wrapped my arms around my best friend and said goodbye for the last time in a long while.
"The branches above her, the shadows at her feet,"
I woke up yesterday and spent my morning with the little girl I grew up with. And then yesterday unfolded like a newly bloomed flower. When I finally said my goodbyes I realized that it was so hard to see her in the beautiful woman that was standing before me. But I still saw, still knew her, still found her… in the depths of my heart that had captured years of memories with her and every moment I saw her through out the day; because I didn’t blink, I didn’t want to miss a minute of it.
"heard her song, and gave it room."

No comments:

Post a Comment