Sunday, February 19, 2012

Face-full

"Humility does not mean thinking less of yourself than other people,"
Currently:
Reading: "The Awakening" by Angela Hunt
Watching: Smash
Listening:"Declaration (This is it)" by Kirk Franklin
This is it ya'll, this is it ya'll
You've been waitin' and debating , here it is, ya'll
All your stuff from your past, shake it off ya'll
Though they said you wouldn't last, who you is ya'll?
Want your dreams back? Let's get it!
Your peace of mind back? Let's get it!
Want your family back? Let's get it!
Are you ready? Let's get it! (This is it!)
I speak against everything that comes to destroy the purpose in your life
This is it!
Worrying about your finances, your future, when you can't even sleep at night
This is it!
I speak against depression and fear, every attack from the enemy
This is it!
This is your day, the Lord made it baby! God has set you free!
This is it!

You can't mess with my mind anymore
This is it!
I'm smarter, see I've been here before
This is it!
It's a new day, I'm not afraid anymore
This is it!
I wanna hear ya'll sing this with your boy!
Every body say
This is it!
"...nor does it mean having a low opinion of your own gifts."
Today's lesson is brought to you by humility... because when you're proud it knocks you down. Yep. That's pretty much the sum of it all. Before I went off to school, I never thought of myself as prideful, because, well, I was a person with a lot of self esteem issues. I was raised feeling abandoned by a parent and a struggle with food kept me conscious of myself at all times. But then there were those times where I would do too much all by myself so that I could say look what I did while they all watched. Or I would be short on food or money and not want to ask anyone for help. Even if they offered, I would reject it because I could take care of myself; or on the rare occasion I accepted their offer I often felt the need to repay them. Little did I know that this was PRIDE  rearing it's ugly head in my life. But when the subject kept coming up, it was like a light shining in. Sure my pride might not have been as noticeable but it was there. I tried to keep myself in check. And for the most part I do ok. But then moments like today come up where I have to walk the two blocks in the rain with an umbrella and five grocery bags because I refused to admit that maybe I did need some help. Or say thank you that would be great to drive them home and bring your car right back. And someone definitely did offer. So here I sit with my bum knee elevated and with a hot pack because apparently walking fourteen and a half miles wasn't super woman enough for me. If I wasn't a vegetarian, I'd be eating crow. 
"It means freedom from thinking of yourself at all." ~William Temple

No comments:

Post a Comment