Monday, April 8, 2013

Appetite

My goal when starting this blog was to bring together all of the things I loved. Writing, counseling, health and fitness, vegetarian food, and photography. Unfortunately over the past two years I faced a lot of trials that found me writing and pouring out my wisdom from what I learned in school for counseling. But I am finding myself in a place where I want to at least try and move past all the junk and gunk. And I want to share the rest of my passions. Like vegetarian cooking...

When I came home I was determined to take better care of myself and continue on with a healthy vegetarian lifestyle. But I didn't want anymore of the boring and bland vegetarian food I had come to know. I needed everything to have a kick to it. I found myself wanting very specific food. Hispanic food to be exact. Thanks to the dawning of the Pinterest era I was able to find some new and exciting recipes, along with the other vegetarian lifestyle blog.

So without further ado I bring you, "Huevos Rancheros Casserole":


It started with this lovely recipe for  Huevos Rancheros,  but I have never been a big fan of corn tortillas and mine were just not coming out right. So I asked myself what could I do to make it easier to eat and enjoy. And then it hit me... Quiche Cornbread! I found it on one of my favorite lifestyle blogs Healthy Tipping Point or HTP as Caitlin (the author) tends to call it. So I set my brain to work and put them together to fit the following recipe.

You will need:

Cooking Spray
1 box of cornbread mix
1c milk split(of any kind)
1/2 can black beans, drained
6 eggs
Shredded Mexican Cheese Blend
Cayenne Pepper
Cumin
Salt
Salsa
Sour Cream
Cilantro

You will also need the following kitchen utensils:

1 mixing bowl
Mixing Spoon
Approx. 3" Deep Baking Dish
Measuring Cup

1. Preheat your oven to 350*. Always the key step!!! It might be hard to do with a cold oven!
2. Combine ingredients on your cornbread box. This is where that first half cup of milk probably comes in.
3. Pour cornbread mix in greased baking dish and bake for 15 minutes.
4. While cornbread is in the oven, combine the 6 eggs, 1/2 c milk, Cayenne, Salt, and Pepper to taste.
5. Remove cornbread from oven and pour the black beans directly on the cornbread and spread out evenly.
6. Pour the egg mixture over the black beans and cornbread and sprinkle the cheese blend over the eggs.
7. Place the baking dish back in the oven for 20 minutes. Then turn the oven up to 400 for an additional 5 minutes. Cook until eggs are completely set.
8. Allow it to cool and you are able to handle. Cut it in slices and top with salsa, sour cream, and cilantro.
9. ENJOY the yummy warm goodness!!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment