Sunday, March 11, 2012

Make it Meaningful

"Those who expect moments of change..."
Currently:
Reading: Rereading "Leaving" by Karen Kingsbury
Watching: In Plain Sight
Listening: "Wedding Song" by Anais Mitchell

Lover, when I sing my song
All the rivers sing along
And they’re gonna break their banks for me
To lay their gold around my feet
All a-flashing in the pan, all to fashion for your hand
The rivers gonna give us the wedding bands

"to be comfortable and free of conflict..."
 This week a match has been lit, an unquenchable burning has begun. It's that soul cry for wanting to do something more; the desire for something new, something different, some sort of change as scary as it may be.
My world has been a blur lately, a big buzz of change to come; from my own back door to the corners of the world.
A month ago I started a new job. It's a constant blur of change. It's up, it's down, it's running around in circles. I feel like I'm on top of the world. I feel like I'm failing. I feel like I don't know which way is up or down. Or what day of the week it is.
At the end of this week there is a strong possibility that my god daughter will enter the world. She will be the first of many children my dear friends will have. She will create a new kind of stirring in my heart, but yet that familiar love that comes with a new life being born.
By the time the school year ends, my best friend will be married. MARRIED. The world will never be the same. She won't be my best friend anymore. She'll be his. But the growing it's stirred in her, it's something else.
There's so much change going on around me. But I still feel like there is so much more to it. Have you ever felt like your hope for change is gone, like your dreams have stopped... and then you wake up. I used to dream about changing the world, about making a difference. I used to imagine myself as a safe haven for those you are lost; lost in the world, lost in their homes, lost in themselves. Somewhere along the way I forgot how to dream... And then I saw this.
I normally avoid politics, because frankly, as smart as people think I am, I don't know much about them. I would rather not paint myself as the idiot. But I know what I believe in and stand for. Which is why, today, I am also forgoing my normal policy of not posting personal pictures. Last week I couldn't help take notice as my Twitter and Facebook feeds filled with links and hash tags all reading the same thing. Many people are just posting this because they are moved by the video associated with the link. Which is perfectly respectable, it is such a moving video. However, it's so much different when you have met these people. When they have danced, sung, and laughed. After they have shared their culture. When they have told their stories first hand. These people have such soft spirits, but you still can hear the agony in their voice as they tell you what they've been through. When they tell how their world was ripped apart. We think we are too small to make any difference. But all the great changes were made when someone said enough is ENOUGH. Look at the pictures. Listen to the story. Stand up and say something. Even if it's just a simple re-post with no comment at all.










#STOPKONY2012
"have not learned their history." ~Joan Wallach Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment